Thursday, August 14, 2014

Daily Grammar- Could

                                                      Use of Could


'Could' can be used to talk about the past, the present or the future.
'Could' is a past form of 'can'

Here is an example of indirect narration-
 
For example: He said, "I can teach French."
                     He said that he could teach French.
                     Tom said to John, "I can help you."
                     Tom told John that he could help him.


Point#1-
             To express past ability-
           
For example: He could get a job. = He was able to get a job.
                    When I was young, I could eat twenty loaves of bread. = When I was young, I was able to eat twenty loves of bread.

* We use 'Could' to show our past ability and expressions; for example, was/were/+able to. But there is negative meaning is also implied.

 For example- He could help me. = He didn't help me, but he could.

* When you do not want to mention negative meaning, a person should use, 'Managed to,' 'Succeeded in.'

For example- He managed to escape. = He was able to escape.
                     They succeeded in solving the problem. = They were able to solve the problem.


Point#2-   To express a polite request. 

       For example: Could I come in?             ( A more polite request)
                            Can I come in?                 ( A polite request)
                           Could you please post these letters?    ( A more polite request)
                           Can you please post these letters?          ( A polite request)

 * Could is more formal than can/may in this sense.


 Point#3-  To express conditions- 
               
           For example- If he were a minister, he could buy an airplane.
                                  He could help me, if I asked for it.


Point#4-   To express ability in the present or future.

  For example-  You could  of course do well if you study regularly.   (Future tense)
                           You could solve this problem in no time.   (Present tense)
                            Sorry, I couldn't help you now.   (Present tense)


Point#5- To express suggestions.
 
        For example-  You could talk to the chairperson in this regard,  (Just a suggestion) 
                                You could write an application to the DM in this connection. (Just a suggestion)


Point#6-    Some phrasal uses of 'Could.'

   For example-  I couldn't help going there. (I cannot live without going there)
                           They couldn't help laughing at the magician. 
                           They couldn't help talking to him.


Point#7-  To express possibilities in the past. (Could + have + V3)

   For example-  You could have done the work alone.     (But he didn't) 
                           I could have answer the question.   (But he/she didn't)  

 

No comments:

Post a Comment