Friday, August 15, 2014

How to use Internet at public network

Nowadays most of the people use smartphones or have Internet facility in their home. However, sometimes we have to use Internet at public network; for example, cyber cafes, hotels, restaurants, public clubs, library etc. I cannot say all people, but most people surf net without thinking about any good or bad!

I would like to share my personal experience with you. It was December, 2006 and the weather was really cold here. I am from Rajasthan and it is a big tourist attraction place so British tend to visit Rajasthan in winters. I said British because I see mostly British tourist here. On Monday, Dec-15, I was shopping late night where I met a nice British couple at market. They were on a short tour of Jaipur because they wanted to visit some other countries. We had a small conversation with coffee and some hot piping samosas.
They asked me for a favor; they wanted to send an email to their family about their well being and they did not know the directions of main market. I am a kind and helpful person by nature, so I gave the address of main market with directions because I knew that there are so many cyber cafes. They thanked me and they took my email address with the promise that they would mail after reaching England. It was an interesting meeting with them and I was quite happy.

Couple of days later, I got an email from there in which they mentioned their account was hacked in India. I really felt bad, I asked them about the cafe and they told me the location with the name of shop. I reached there without wasting my time and approached these cyber cafe guys. But they gave me so many excuses. For example, "We don't know who did this?" "It's a public cyber cafe so people come and go." I was really somewhat dumbfounded because whatever happened with those foreign guys was really bad and shameful.

So what mistake they did there?

I also used Internet at the same cyber cafe and someone hacked my account too. So what was the real issue there? Were there any professional hacker or what?

No there was nothing like that, actually the main thing was there in the box, 'Remember my password' and some people just close the browser without sign-out.

Remember, always use private mode whenever you use Internet at public network. Don't forget to un-check the 'Remember my password' box.

If you are accessing any personal site or details which are confidential use private mode in the browser. You can always delete the history after doing your work.

You should always check if they are using a good antivirus software and it must be updated, not a trial version or outdated.

After entering user name and password, it takes you to the main page and then browser itself asks you to remember your log-in details, so just select, 'Don't remember it.'

Just look around if any person is not watching your hand or finger moments. Remember such people who does mischievous acts are very clever and cunning.

If you are using net at a cyber cafe or a public place, just watch your surrounding, is there any spy cam or not?

These are some simple and quick tips. My motive of live is pretty simple, I like to help people. If you help people, somebody would help you for sure when you need it seriously. Remember good deeds are always paid!

Enjoy it! Be safe and be alert. 

No comments:

Post a Comment