Saturday, August 30, 2014

Time Solves A lot of Things!

 

There is  a saying, “Time is a great healer.”  Yes, it is true. But there are many things in our life which you cannot undo. Let’s talk about our good and bad memories, they don’t leave us, they just chase us, run after us. If someone asks me what kind of girlfriend or wife do you want? Then I might say, “As faithful as tension, or as honest as anxiety.” You might not laugh at this stupid joke, but it’s true. You can get rid off from your wife or girlfriend, but it is hard to forget their memories. Our memories follow us, faster than twitter or any other social network!Smile with tongue out  Frankly speaking, it is hard to find a happy and tensionless person nowadays. Worry caused me to lose ten years of my life. Those ten years should have been the most fruitful and richest years of any young man’s life- the years from eighteen to twenty eight.

I realized now that losing those years was no one’s fault but my own. I worried about everything: my job, my health, my family, and my feeling of inferiority. I was so frightened that I used to cross the street to avoid meeting people I knew. When I met a friend on the street, I would often pretend not to notice him, because I was afraid of being snubbed.

I was so afraid of meeting strangers- so terrified in their presence- that in one space of two weeks I lost out on three different jobs simply because I didn’t have the courage to tell those three prospective employers what I knew I could do.

Then one day eight years ago, I conquered worry in one afternoon- and have rarely worried since then.  That afternoon I was in the office of a man who had had far more troubles than I had ever faced, yet he was one of the most cheerful man I had ever known. He had made a fortune lost in 1978, and lost every penny. He had made another fortune in 1986, and lost that; and another fortune in 1990, and lost that too. He had gone through bankruptcy and had been hounded by enemies and creditors. Troubles that would have broken some men and driven them to suicide rolled off him like water off a duck’s back.

As I sat in his office that day eight years ago, I was in Naryana, Delhi that time. I envied him and wished that God had made me like him.

As we were talking, he tossed a letter to me that he had received that morning and said, “Read that.”

It was an angry letter, raising several embarrassing questions. If I had received such a letter, it would have sent me into a tailspin. I said, “Mr. Roy, how are you going to answer it?”

“Well,” Mr. Roy said, “I will tell you a little secret. Next time you have really got something to worry about, take a pencil and a piece of paper, and sit down and write out in details just what’s worrying you. Then put that piece of paper in the lower right-hand drawer of your desk. Wait a couple of weeks, and then look at it. If what  you wrote down still worries you when you read it, put that piece of paper back in your lower right-hand drawer. Let it sit there for another two weeks. It will be safe there. Nothing will happen to it. Smile with tongue out

But in the meantime, a lot may happen to the problem that is worrying you. I have found that, if only I have patience, the worry that is trying to harass me will often collapse like a pricked balloon.

That bit of advice made a great impression on me. I have been using Mr. Roy’s advice for years now, and as a result, I rarely worry about anything. Winking smile

No comments:

Post a Comment